Hot Buttered Rum
For the Beverage
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted - softened
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 cups milk, 2%
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons rum or 1 teaspoon alcohol-free rum extract, divided
- 4 whole cinnamon sticks
- 4 tablespoons whipped cream, fresh - sweetened
- Additional nutmeg, for sprinkling
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Stir the brown sugar into the softened butter to combine. Scoop the sweetened butter into tablespoon-sized balls, placing them onto the prepared baking sheet. Freeze the butter for 5 minutes while heating the remainder of the ingredients.
Whisk the cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt into the milk. Warm the spiced milk in a small saucepan set over medium heat until it begins to simmer and froth around the edges, stopping just short of boiling. Divide the hot milk between four mugs.
Remove the sweetened butter from the freezer, and then place one ball into each mug of hot spiced milk. Pour either rum or alcohol-free rum extract into each mug. Serve with a cinnamon stick for stirring.
Optional: add a dollop of sweetened whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg to the beverages prior to serving for an attractive presentation. Serve hot.