Black Bean and Pepper Jack Burgers
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons milk (skim, 2% or whole)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers (6 oz.), divided
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 5 thin slices tomato
- 5 leaves lettuce
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
In large bowl place about two-thirds of the black beans. Use potato masher to smash beans. Stir in egg, breadcrumbs, parsley, milk, cumin, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
Add the remaining beans, 1 cup of the cheese and corn to mashed bean mixture. Use clean hands to mix until mixture sticks together.
Using about 1/2 cup of bean mixture for each, shape into five patties.
In large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add patties. Cook for 9 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned and heated through, turning once. Remove from heat. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top of warm patties.
Serve in toasted buns along with lettuce and tomato slices.
Photography by @mamaterranean