Cheesy Penne Bake with Chicken Sausage
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small zucchini, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, diced and drained
- 6 ounces precooked chicken sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced ¼ inch thick
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cheese, shredded (recommended 1 cup Mozzarella and 1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese)
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish and set aside.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Sauté onion, pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, chicken sausage, and salt and pepper to taste. Let come to a simmer and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from the heat and stir in the cooked pasta. Place half of the pasta mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Layer with remaining pasta and cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350ºF for 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.