- 1 teaspoon butter, softened and unsalted
- 3 cups dried macaroni, divided
- 1 1/2 cups cheese, freshly grated mild Cheddar, divided
- 1 1/4 cups cheese, freshly grated Parmesan, divided
- 5 tablespoons butter, chilled, unsalted and cut into 1/4-inch cubes, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 cups milk, 2%
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
Preheat oven to 350° F. Smear the teaspoon of softened butter around the interior of a 9” x 13” glass baking dish to coat.
Layer half of the dried macaroni across the bottom of the buttered baking dish. Sprinkle half of the shredded Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses evenly over the macaroni. Evenly scatter half of the chilled butter cubes over the cheese. Repeat the layers with the dried macaroni, cheese, and cubed butter. Sprinkle the top with salt and pepper. Slowly pour the milk over all, being sure to moisten all of the pasta. Look for any macaroni noodles that are sticking upward over the surface of the milk, and then gently press them flat underneath the milk.
Bake the macaroni and cheese for one hour or until the noodles are soft, milk has been completely absorbed, and cheese is melted and smooth. Serve immediately.