- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 slices (1/2-inch-thick) rustic Italian or sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 ounces fontina cheese, thinly sliced or shredded
- 2 roma tomatoes, cut into 12 very thin slices
- ground black pepper
- 4 ounces Gouda cheese, thinly sliced or shredded
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
Combine Parmesan cheese, basil, rosemary, thyme and garlic powder in small food processor. Cover and process until combined. Add oil. Cover and process until combined.
Place bread slices on a cutting board. Lightly spread softened butter over one side of bread slices. Turn slices over. Spread Parmesan mixture on plain slides of bread slices.
Place fontina cheese on four of the bread slices. Top with tomato slices. Sprinkle with pepper. Top with Gouda cheese. Place remaining bread slices on top, Parmesan mixture side down.
On griddle or in large nonstick skillet cook sandwiches, covered, over medium-low heat for 10 to 18 minutes or until golden brown and cheese melts, turning once. Diagonally slice sandwiches in half before serving.
Yield: 4 sandwiches; 4 servings