Helpful Reminders for Sending School Meals Home
Here are some ideas to remind students, parents and families about perishable foods sent home that may find their way tucked into backpacks, gym bags or jackets.
Sample PA Announcements to Students:
Use the following text to share out meals students can take home and tips to remind them to unpack these meals as soon as they’re home.
- Did you grab your school meals to take home? Don’t forget! There’s tasty, fresh food in those meals that need to stay cold. Put milk and other fresh items in the fridge as soon as you get home from school.
- Meals provided for learning at home! Consider bringing an ice pack to make sure meals stay fresh until you get home from school.
- Grab your meals for home! Don’t forget, we’re providing fresh food that needs refrigeration. Be sure to put your milk and other perishable items in your fridge as soon as you get home from school.
- Fuel for learning at home is available! Grab your meals on your way out, but don’t forget there’s fresh food that needs refrigeration in there.
- Start the clock! Milk with your take home meals only has 2 hours before it needs to be in your fridge to safely drink later.
Sample Posts for Social Media:
Use the following text and adjust for your specific audience, social media channels, and community. Insert specific school or district names along with information about how food is distributed.
- The tables have turned. Instead of packing lunches to bring to school, [School Name] Food Services is packing meals to enjoy at home! Don’t forget, we’re providing foods that need refrigeration, like milk, sandwiches and salads. Be sure meals are unpacked and fresh items are placed in the fridge as soon as students get home from school, so they stay safe to eat.
- Check the backpack for meals! [School Name] is sending your child home with meals to fuel up during virtual learning. Make sure these foods make it to the fridge as soon you get home to ensure it’s safe to eat. Reminder: milk should only be outside of refrigeration for up to 2 hours for safe drinking!
- Meals are being provided when you are learning at home! Consider proper food safety when your child gets home from school, just like you would with groceries, to make sure school meals stay fresh until your child is ready to enjoy!
Sample Newsletter Clips:
Use the following text in newsletter, blog or other print and digital communication and adjust for your specific audience and community. Insert specific school or district names along with information about how food is distributed.
- Got Milk? We’re sending your child home with meals to fuel learning while education continues outside of the school building. Make sure perishable foods make it to the fridge as soon as your child gets home! Check book bags, gym bags, and jackets to make sure no fresh food goes to waste. Reminder: Milk should only be outside of refrigeration for up to 2 hours for safe enjoyment!
- Milk is included with every meal your child receives from school. Here are some cool ideas for families to make more of the milk received with meals!
- Freeze milk into ice cubes to add to smoothies, sauces or soups.
- Prep homemade popsicles by blending milk with yogurt and fruit, then freeze in a popsicle mold.
- Chocolate milk is the original hot chocolate. Heat in microwave or on a stovetop and garnish with whipped cream.
- Make pancakes, waffles or biscuits with milk and freeze for easy reheat-and-eat breakfasts.