Eating school breakfast puts students on the path to academic success.
Increasing breakfast participation helps students, but also helps the food service department’s bottom line. Dairy is a key component for breakfast including milk, yogurt, and smoothies.
Check out our new School Breakfast Promotional Resources!
Why is School Breakfast Important?
- Breakfast for Learning
- Breakfast for Health
- No Kid Hungry “Hunger in our schools” Report
- Learning Connection report
- Food Research and Action Center
Breakfast Cootie Catcher
School Breakfast Resources
- USDA Breakfast Toolkit
- No Kid Hungry School Breakfast Guides and Resources
- Fresh Start with School Breakfast – School Nutrition Association and Alliance for a Healthier Generation
- Nutrition Reports 2013-1 — Say Yes to School Breakfast
- Nutrition Reports 2015-1
- Boost Breakfast — State of Michigan
- Michigan Department of Education School Breakfast Program
- School Breakfast Scorecard
Alternative Breakfast Service Models
The most effective way to increase breakfast participation is to make it part of the school day and move it outside of the cafeteria. The following resources provide more information on how and why to do that.
- School Nutrition Foundation – Breakfast Operations Report 2016
- National Association of Elementary School Principals Breakfast in the Classroom Resources
- American Association of School Administrators breakfast resources
- The School Superintendents Association “Improving Attendance Health & Behavior: Moving Breakfast out of the Cafeteria”
- Wisconsin School Breakfast Resources
- Secondary Principal’s Report on Breakfast After the Bell
- Fuel Up to Play 60 Healthy Eating Play: Breakfast for Everyone
- SNAF’s Breakfast in the Classroom Resource
- Success Story at Hazel Park High School
- Better With Breakfast: United Way of Southeastern Michigan
- School Breakfast: More than a Meal
- Michigan Success Stories
- Overnight Oats Recipe
- Bento Box Ideas
- School Breakfast Recipes
- Smoothie Recipes
- Peaches N Cream Waffle Dunkers
- Mega Cheese Muffin
- Fruity Flatbread, Sunny Start
- Double Cheese-Fiesta Swirl
- Breakfast Basket
- Blueberry Delight
- Yogurt Muffin Parfait
- Yogurt Coffee Cooler
MI Breakfast: The Smoothie Way Grant
2015-2016 Mi Breakfast: The Smoothie Way Grant recipients each received a blender and supporting materials to promoted smoothies on their breakfast menus.