Veggie, Cheese and Potato Soup
- 3 cups cubed, peeled potatoes or frozen, diced hash brown potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion or 1 teaspoon minced dried onion
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon*
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups frozen broccoli or cauliflower, thawed, or 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard or spicy brown mustard
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese (6 oz.), or 6 ounces American cheese, cut up
- 1/2 cup chopped, cooked ham, 4 slices crisp-cooked, crumbled bacon (optional)
In large saucepan combine potatoes, 2 cups water, onion, bouillon and pepper. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Meanwhile, if using broccoli or cauliflower, cut any large vegetables into bite-size pieces. Set aside. In small bowl whisk together 1 cup water, milk powder and mustard. Set aside.
Using slotted spoon remove approximately 1/3 of the potato-onion mixture from saucepan, leaving remaining potato-onion mixture and liquid in pan. Slightly mash the removed potato-onion mixture. Return to saucepan.
Stir vegetables and milk-mustard mixture into mixture in saucepan. Heat through.
Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, a little at a time, until melted. Ladle into serving bowls. Sprinkle with ham or bacon (if desired). Serve immediately.
*Note: If desired, substitute 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth for the water and bouillon.
Recipe image by Jenn Fillenworth, MS, RDN, www.JennyWiththeGoodEats.com
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.