- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean or extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 green cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups cheese, shredded part-skim Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup cheese, shredded 2% sharp Cheddar
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
Preheat oven to 350º F. Coat a 9 x 13 x 2 inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add minced garlic, onions and beef. Cook until beef is browned, onions are tender and liquid is absorbed. Add in tomato sauce and diced tomatoes, stirring well. Next, add lemon juice, sugar, black pepper, basil and parsley and stir well.
Add chopped cabbage and water to skillet, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until cabbage is tender and liquid is almost completely absorbed. Stir in cooked brown rice.
Add mixture to casserole dish, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. After half an hour, remove aluminum foil and sprinkle with Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.