For the Soup
- 1 egg
- 3/4 pound ground turkey
- 1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 small zucchini, cut in half lengthwise then sliced crosswise
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and halved crosswise
For the Crostini
- 1 baguette, thinly sliced
- olive oil
- 1 cup cheese, Ricotta
- 3/4 cup cheese, shredded Mozzarella
- freshly ground black pepper
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
Make the soup: In large bowl, lightly beat egg. Add turkey, breadcrumbs, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir (or mix with hands) until just combined. Do not over mix. Using hands, gently form into small (slightly smaller than a golf ball) meatballs and place on large plate or baking pan.
In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots; cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Stir in broth; heat to boiling. Stir in tomatoes, zucchini and green beans. Gently drop in meatballs. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until meatballs reach an internal temperature of 165º F.
Meanwhile, make crostini: Heat broiler to high heat. Place baguette slices on rimmed baking pan and lightly brush with oil. Place under broiler and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp, watching very carefully. Spread crostini with Ricotta and sprinkle with mozzarella and pepper. Return to broiler and cook 1 minute or until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Serve soup with crostini.