Tomato Parmesan Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz.) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup milk, half and half
- 1/2 cup cheese, grated Parmesan
- Garlic croutons, (optional)
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
Place butter in removable pan of a programmable pressure cooker, such as an Instant Pot. Place in pressure cooker. Using sauté function, heat butter until melted. Add onion and carrot. Cook, uncovered, for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Press cancel.
Stir in undrained tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, basil, thyme and sugar. Secure lid and set pressure release to sealing function. Select high pressure setting and cook for 5 minutes. Press cancel.
Allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes. Move pressure release valve to venting function to release any remaining steam. Remove lid.
Using an immersion blender, purée the tomato mixture. Stir in half-and-half. Using sauté function, cook and stir, uncovered, just until heated through. Do not boil. Stir in cheese. Ladle into serving bowls. Top with croutons (if desired).