- 8 ounces cheese, Gruyere - shredded (2 cups)
- 4 ounces cheese, Emmentaler or Swiss - shredded (1 cup)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 large clove garlic, halved
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Crusty French or Italian bread or chunks of fresh apple
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
In large bowl combine shredded cheeses. Let stand at room temperature for 45 minutes.
Sprinkle cheeses with cornstarch. Toss to combine.
Rub inside of medium saucepan with cut edges of garlic clove. Discard garlic. Add wine and lemon juice to pan. Heat over medium heat just until small bubbles rise to the surface. Reduce heat to low.
Add cheese mixture to wine, a handful at a time, stirring until cheese melts after each addition. Stir in nutmeg. Transfer to fondue pot. Keep mixture warm over fondue burner. (If mixture becomes too thick, gradually stir in a little additional wine.)
To serve, dip of chunks of bread or apple into mixture.