- 1 pound Chorizo, spicy sausage
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (black or kidney beans work too)
- 2 (10-ounce) cans Rotel tomatoes
- 2 1/2 pounds skinless bone-in chicken thighs, about 4 thighs
- 3 cups water
- 36 ounces chicken broth
- sour cream
- cheese, cheddar - shredded
- cheese, Monterey Jack - shredded
- yogurt, Plain
- Avocado, sliced
- Crushed tortilla chips
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
In a 6-quart pot, brown the chorizo sausage. Add in peppers and onions, and sauté together with the sausage until vegetables are soft and the sausage is completely cooked. Add salt and oregano and allow to cook a minute longer. Place in bottom of slow cooker. Return pot to stove, do not clean.
Add rinsed and drained beans and Rotel tomatoes to the slow cooker.
Return pot to stove and heat to medium-high heat. Place chicken thighs in pot and allow to cook for 2 minutes until starting to brown. Add 3 cups of water to pot and cover. Cook chicken thighs for 20 minutes or until meat is falling off the bone. Turn off stove, and allow chicken to cool enough for you to remove it from bone. Add pulled meat to the slow cooker.
Add chicken broth to slow cooker. Turn on low and cook for 3-6 hours.
Place crushed tortilla chips in bottom of bowl. Add cheese. Ladle soup over chips and cheese. Top with more cheese and any additional toppings of your choice.