Salmon in Phyllo with Spinach and Feta
- 6 fresh or frozen skinless salmon fillets (about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds total)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 4 ounces (1 cup) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 24 sheets (14 x 9-inches) frozen phyllo dough, thawed (about 2/3 of a 16-oz. pkg.)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 4 teaspoons spicy brown mustard or Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
Thaw salmon, if frozen. Rinse. Pat dry with paper towels. Tuck any thin edges of salmon under to make equal thickness. Sprinkle with pepper.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Squeeze spinach to remove as much moisture as possible. In small bowl combine egg, feta cheese, Parmesan cheese and lemon peel. Stir in spinach. Press onto salmon pieces. Set aside.
Unfold phyllo dough. Cover with plastic wrap. Lay one sheet of phyllo dough on large work surface. Brush with some of the melted butter. Top with another sheet of phyllo dough. Brush with additional butter. Add two more sheets of dough (a total of four sheets), brushing each sheet with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap while working.)
Place one salmon piece, spinach side down, on phyllo stack about 3 inches from one short side. Fold long sides of phyllo in toward center. Gently roll up phyllo, completely enclosing salmon. Place, seam side down, in shallow baking pan. Brush top with additional butter. Repeat steps 3 and 4 using remaining phyllo, butter and salmon pieces.
Using sharp knife, make 2 diagonal cuts across top of each bundle. Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until centers of salmon register 140°F on instant read thermometer and phyllo is golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Meanwhile, stir together sour cream or yogurt, mustard, lemon juice and dill weed. Serve with salmon bundles.
Make Ahead Instructions: Prepare salmon bundles are directed above through step 4. Tightly cover and refrigerate for 2 to 6 hours. Continue as directed above, except increase baking time to 20 to 25 minutes.