For the Bacon Jam
- 3/4 pound smoked bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 1/2 large yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
For the Brussel Sprouts
- 1 1/2 pounds brussel sprouts, stems removed, halved
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt, greek
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
First, make the bacon jam. In large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp, stirring frequently. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate. Remove and discard all but 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings from skillet and return skillet to medium heat.
Add butter, onions and salt to skillet. Cook 7 to 9 minutes until softened and lightly browned. Stir in water, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, thyme, black pepper and bacon. Cook over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until most liquid is evaporated and mixture has a jam-like consistency. Remove from heat and stir in balsamic vinegar.
Meanwhile, make the brussel sprouts. Preheat oven to 425º F. Place brussel sprouts on rimmed baking pan; toss with oil. Transfer to oven and roast 22 to 24 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring and turning occasionally.
To serve, spread yogurt on large platter (or divide between individual plates). Top with brussel sprouts, dried cranberries and bacon jam.