Quinoa-Veggie Salad with Marinated Feta Cheese
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Marinated Cheese (see recipe below)
- 1 cup seeded and chopped cucumber
- 1 cup baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup pitted and halved kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds or pine nuts, toasted
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
Cook quinoa according to package directions, except omit any salt. Drain off any remaining water. Transfer to large bowl or container. Add vinegar, mustard and salt. Stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
Meanwhile, prepare Marinated Cheese (see recipe below).
Before serving, stir cucumber, carrots, broccoli and red onion into chilled quinoa mixture. Add marinated cheese and the marinade, tomatoes, olives and almonds to quinoa mixture. Gently stir until combined.
Marinated Cheese: Place 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) cubed feta cheese it in a medium bowl. In small bowl whisk together 1/3 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel, 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds, 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper. Pour over cheese. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
Photography by @mamaterranean