Peach Shortcakes with Yogurt-Maple Sauce
- 4 large ripe peaches, pitted, peeled and sliced;, or 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 cup lactose-free milk, (skim, 2% or whole)
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt, (2% or 5% fat)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside. Stir together peaches and 2 tablespoons of the sugar. Set aside.
In small bowl stir together flour, 3 tablespoons of the remaining sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add lactose-free milk and egg yolk. Use a fork to stir just until the dough comes together. Do not overmix.
Using a spoon, drop dough into 8 mounds onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake at 425°F for 13 to 15 minutes or until browned. Transfer to wire rack. Cool slightly.
Meanwhile, in small bowl whisk together yogurt, maple syrup and cinnamon. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
To serve, slightly break apart 1 warm shortbread into each serving bowl. Top with some of the sliced peaches and some of the yogurt mixture.
Recipe photography by Jenn Fillenworth of www.JennyWiththeGoodEats.com
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.