Pasta in a Pinch
- 8 oz uncooked penne pasta
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup milk (nonfat, 2% or whole
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 15-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Freshly chopped herbs for garnish, optional
In a large microwavable bowl, place uncooked penne pasta and pour water over top to cover. With food safe plastic wrap, cover the bowl leaving a small section to vent as it cooks. Cook for 3 minutes longer than the package directions. This should be approximately 13 minutes.
Once the pasta has been cooked, drain into a colander then place back into the bowl. Add in the milk and spices, stir to combine. Begin to stir in the cheese a little at a time. Place back in the microwave for an additional minute. Remove from microwave and stir again.
Next, add the cannellini beans and diced tomatoes and stir. Microwave for an additional minute. Remove from the microwave and stir. Assess if ingredients are hot and cheese is melted. If not, microwave an additional 1-2 minutes.
Serve with parmesan cheese on top and fresh herbs.
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.