Mushroom Stroganoff Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium-size shallots, chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 10-oz package white button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1 10-oz package cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup whole wheat egg noodles
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2/3 cup sour cream, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsely
In soup pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 minutes. Add button mushrooms and cremini mushrooms, increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms release liquid and begin to brown, about 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add broth, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, 3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; bring to boil. Add egg noodles and boil gently, uncovered, until noodles are nearly tender, 5 minutes.
In pitcher or medium bowl, whisk milk, 1/3 cup sour cream and flour until flour dissolves. Ladle 1/2 cup broth from pot into milk mixture and whisk well then pour milk mixture into pot. While stirring, bring to gentle boil then lower heat and simmer until thickened, 2 minutes. Season with additional salt, to taste.
Serve garnished with dollop of remaining sour cream and parsley.
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.