- 20 ounces 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped, plus about 8 additional leaves for topping
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 small yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 cheese, fresh mozzarella medallions (liquid dried off) plus more for topping if desired
- Whole wheat buns for serving
- Sliced tomato for topping
- 4 tablespoons pesto to spread on buns, optional
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
In a large bowl, add ground turkey, basil, Panko, egg, salt, pepper, vinegar, and parsley. Grate the onion and garlic over the bowl to catch all the juice. Mix everything together using your hands until it is combined. Do not overmix. Divide meat mixture into four portions. Form four patties, each around a piece of Mozzarella, making sure that cheese is completely encased by meat.
Place on a sheet pan lined with foil and broil on high (about 4 to 5 inches from the heat) for about 6 to 8 minutes (or until golden brown), flip over, cook for another 4 to 6 minutes or until burgers are cooked through to 165º F. Add to buns, top with tomato and fresh basil, more Mozzarella and pesto if desired, and serve immediately.