Mexican Beef Skillet with Quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium black beans
- 1 cup canned or frozen corn
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chilis
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded Mexican-blend 2% cheese
- Fresh cilantro
Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet or large fry pan. Add onions and red peppers until tender (about 5 to 10 minutes). Add ground beef and cook until browned. Once beef is cooked through, add chicken broth, quinoa and stewed tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
Turn down heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until quinoa is cooked (looks opaque). Turn heat to low and stir in black beans, corn, green chilies and taco seasoning. Mix to combine. Stir in shredded cheese and sprinkle with cilantro.
Notes: Serve alone, with tortilla chips or in tortillas.
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.