- 2 1/2 pounds baking potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cup milk, 2%
- 3 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup cheese, reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream, reduced fat
- 1/2 cup green onions (scallions,) thinly sliced
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup cheese, reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
Preheat the oven to 400º F. Scrub the potatoes, pierce the skins several time, and place them directly on the oven rack. Bake the potatoes for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until easily pierced with a fork. Transfer the baked potatoes to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Carefully peel the potatoes, and discard the skins. Coarsely mash the potatoes with the butter in a medium bowl; set aside.
Pour the milk and chicken stock into a large Dutch oven. Whisk the flour into the liquids, until smooth. Cook the milk mixture over medium heat until it becomes thick and bubbly, stirring constantly, between 6 to 8 minutes.
Add the mashed potatoes, cheese, salt, and pepper to the pot, stirring until the cheese is completely melted. Whisk the sour cream into the soup, stirring until heated through. Taste the soup and adjust seasonings, if required.
Ladle the soup into serving bowls, and garnish with scallions, more cheese, and bacon crumbles.