Lentil Tacos with Tangy Guacamole
- 1 medium ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange juice, lime juice or lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup yogurt, plain fat-free Greek
- 2 1/3 cups water
- 1 cup dry brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups seeded and chopped tomatoes, divided, or 1 can (14.5 oz.) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, well drained, divided
- 1 1/4 cups (5 oz.) cheese, shredded Cheddar - divided
- 12 yellow corn taco shells
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
For guacamole, in small bowl mash together avocado, orange juice, hot pepper sauce and 1 clove garlic. Stir in yogurt. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
In medium saucepan combine water, lentils, onion, chili powder, 2 cloves garlic and salt. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and gently boil for 12 to 15 minutes or until lentils are just tender. Uncover. Continue boiling for 5 to 15 minutes more or until most of the liquid evaporates.
Remove lentils from heat. Stir in 1 cup of the tomatoes and 3/4 cup of the cheese. Spoon into taco shells. Stand filled tacos in 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish. Sprinkle tacos with the remaining 1/2 cup tomatoes and the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Loosely cover dish with foil. Bake at 400°F for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Stir guacamole. Serve with warm tacos.
*Photography by Jenn Fillenworth, MS, RDN, www.JennyWiththeGoodEats.com