- 20 ounces extra lean ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large bell peppers, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup cheese, shredded sharp Cheddar or Mozzarella
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
In a large, non-stick, high-sided skillet, add ground turkey and onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook, breaking up ground turkey, until turkey is cooked through and browned.
Add to a 9x13 casserole dish and add all other ingredients except cheese. Stir to combine. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 75 to 90 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove foil, add cheese and bake for about 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and bubbling.
Note: It is important to use long grain rice in this recipe. If you only have short grain, plan for an increased baking time to make sure the rice is tender. Using white rice will decrease cooking time.