Ham, Swiss and Mango Corn Muffins
- 1 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (4 oz.)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (0%, 2% or 5% fat)
- 1/2 cup milk (skim, 2% or 5% fat)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mango or peach
- 1/2 cup finely chopped ham
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin cups or line with foil bake cups. Set aside.
In medium bowl stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in Swiss cheese. Set aside.
In another medium bowl whisk together egg, yogurt, milk and butter. Stir in mango and ham. Add to cornmeal mixture. Stir until just combined. Evenly spoon into prepared muffin cups.
Bake for 14 to 15 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center of one comes out clean and edges of muffins are just beginning to brown. Let stand in pan for 10 minutes. Remove to wire rack. Serve warm.
Yield: 3 cups batter; 12 muffins; 12 servings
Note: If desired, completely cool muffins on wire rack. Place in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Before serving, thaw muffins at room temperature. Serve at room temperature or wrap muffins in foil and warm in 250°F oven about 10 minutes.