Gingerbread Breakfast Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted - softened
- 1/2 cup yogurt, plain Greek
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup small-chopped granny smith apple, about one apple
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
Preheat oven to 350º F. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, oats, flax seed, salt, baking powder, baking soda, ginger cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cardamom until combined. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together softened butter and yogurt. Add brown sugar and mix until combined (this mixture won't look pretty, but that's okay). Add eggs, molasses and vanilla, mixing again until combined. With the mixer on low, gradually add in dry ingredients until just combined.
By hand, fold in the cranberries and apples. Scoop onto a silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet by about 1/4-cup spoonfuls. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until firm to the touch.