Creamy Vegetarian Lasagna Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 small carrots, shredded
- 1 clove garlic
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 4 cups no-salt-added vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 10 whole wheat lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- 1 small zucchini, julienned or shredded
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup part-skim Ricotta
- 1/2 cup shredded or grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim Mozzarella
- Fresh basil to garnish, optional
In a large pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers. Cook until onions are translucent. Add mushrooms. Cook until browned and then add carrots and garlic. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until garlic is fragrant. Add spinach and dried herbs and cook until spinach is wilted.
Add broth and water. Bring to a boil and add pasta; stir.
Cook for 9 minutes or as directed on package, stirring frequently so pasta cooks evenly.
Once pasta is cooked, add shredded zucchini and summer squash and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, adding more water as needed - remember you’ll be adding more liquid when you add the half and half.
Remove from heat and slowly stir in half and half. Return to low heat if desired.
In a small bowl, mix together Ricotta, Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese. Top individual bowls of soup with a spoonful of this mixture immediately prior to serving. Garnish with basil if desired.
Nutritional data is unavailable
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.