Creamy Tomato and Whole Wheat Orzo Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 medium carrot, diced small or grated
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- small pinch of red pepper flakes
- 3 cans diced tomatoes, with juice, do not drain
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3/4 cup yogurt, plain non-fat Greek
- 3/4 cup whole wheat orzo, uncooked
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and carrot and season with salt and pepper. Saute until softened and onions are translucent.
Meanwhile, cook orzo according to directions on package.
To the sauted carrots and onions, add bay leaf, basil and red pepper flakes. Add in tomatoes, water, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil (high heat), reduce to a simmer (medium-low heat) and simmer for 15 minutes or so, until heated through. If soup gets too thick, add a little more water.
When ready to serve, remove from heat and use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. Stir in cooked orzo and Greek yogurt until combined.
If needed, return to low heat.
Top with grated Cheddar cheese and fresh herbs, if desired.