- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup cheese, grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup whipped cream, heavy
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound Pasta, cooked according to package instructions
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
Add olive oil to large skillet over medium-high heat. After 30 seconds, add garlic and Italian seasoning; sauté for 1 minute.
Add both cans of tomatoes, sugar, and red pepper flakes, if using. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, allowing to come to a low bubble and begin to reduce. You will want to place a cover on your pan to prevent the sauce from splattering.
Turn heat to low; add in cream and Parmesan cheese and stir until cheese has melted and is incorporated into tomato sauce. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Add fresh basil, and cooked pasta stir over medium heat for 3-5 minutes allowing sauce to thicken and adhere to pasta.
Serve with additional Parmesan cheese and fresh basil as garnish, with garlic toast and a fresh salad as sides.
Note: If you do not have fresh garlic or basil you can substitute 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 tablespoon dried basil.