Creamy Couscous with Broccoli, Tomatoes and Cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk, (fat free, 2% or whole)
- 1 1/2 cups plain couscous
- 1 cup cheese, finely shredded Parmesan
- 1 cup (4 oz.) cheese, shredded Cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons slivered fresh basil leaves
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
In large nonstick skillet cook onion in butter over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add broccoli, garlic and pepper. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
Stir milk into broccoli mixture. Bring to boiling. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
Gently stir Parmesan cheese into couscous mixture. Spread on serving platter. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Top with tomatoes and fresh basil leaves.
Photo by Jenn Fillenworth of Jenny With the Good Eats