Creamy Chicken, Tortellini & Mushroom Soup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup dry white wine, optional
- 4 cups less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated three-cheese tortellini
- 1/2 bunch lacinato or curly kale, thinly sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onion; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium; add garlic and mushrooms. Cook 5 to 6 minutes or until mushrooms are browned; stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in thyme, salt and pepper. Transfer mushroom mixture to medium bowl; return pot to stove and increase heat to medium-high.
Add chicken and remaining 1 tablespoon of butter to pot. Cook 4 to 5 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned (it does not need to be cooked all the way through at this point); stirring occasionally. If using, stir in wine; cook 1 minute. Add chicken broth; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Add tortellini; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add kale; cook an additional 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in cream and mushroom mixture; cook 2 minutes or until mushrooms are warmed through. Serve immediately.
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.