- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 large head fresh broccoli, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cream, heavy
- 1 cup cheese, freshly grated sharp Cheddar - plus extra for topping
- Salt and white pepper
- 1-2 fresh rosemary sprigs, for topping
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
In a large Dutch oven or port, melt the butter. Add the celery and onion and stir until tender, about 8 minutes.
Add in the broccoli and cook for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour all over the vegetables and gently mix to incorporate. Carefully pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the broccoli is tender, about 20 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally.
Carefully ladle or pour the vegetables and broth into a blender and process until smooth. Return the soup to the pot and stir in the cream and shredded cheese. Heat the soup until hot, but do not bring to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and white pepper to the pot and mix well. Top with additional shredded cheese, if desired.