Creamy and Cheesy Butternut Squash Soup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 apple, cored and chopped (any variety, but Honeycrisp or Pink Lady recommended)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried sage)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk (whole or lowfat)
- 4 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a medium Dutch oven or pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and beginning to caramelize, about 5 minutes. Add squash, apple, and sage, cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until caramelized, stirring frequently.
Pour in the vegetable broth, and cook at medium heat, covered, until the butternut squash is fork tender, about 10 minutes.
Transfer the mixture to a blender or use an immersion blender and puree until smooth. Pour everything back into pot and add the milk and shredded cheese.
Cook over low heat for an additional 5 minutes stirring frequently until the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with additional shredded cheese and chopped fresh sage. Serve warm!
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.