- 1 package (16 oz.) frozen mixed broccoli, cauliflower and carrots; frozen mixed broccoli and cauliflower; frozen cut broccoli; or frozen chopped cauliflower
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 green onions, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk or half-and-half
- 4 ounces torn American cheese (optional)
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
Cook vegetables according to package directions. Drain off any liquid.
In food processor, combine vegetables and 1/2 cup of the chicken broth. Cover and process until almost smooth. Set aside.
In large saucepan, cook green onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour, lemon peel, thyme, salt and pepper. Add milk. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
Stir pureed vegetable mixture and the remaining 1 cup chicken broth into milk mixture. Cook and stir until heated through. Stir in cheese until melted (if desired). To serve, ladle into bowls.