Chipotle-Cheddar Sweet Potatoes
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter, or clarified butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups lactose-free milk (2% or whole)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crushed rich round crackers, (about 12 crackers)
In Dutch oven combine 2 inches of lightly salted water and sweet potato slices. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Drain potatoes and set aside.
In saucepan cook onion and garlic in butter over medium heat about 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour and salt. Stir in milk and chipotle peppers. Cook, stirring constantly, until boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Stir cheese, a little at a time, into milk mixture until melted.
In greased 12- x 8- x 2-inch baking dish arrange half of the sweet potato slices. Pour half of the cheese sauce over top. Repeat layers. Tightly cover dish with foil. Bake, covered, at 350°F for 25 minutes.
Remove foil from baking dish. Sprinkle cracker crumbs over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 15 minutes more or until potatoes are tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe photography by Jenn Fillenworth at www.JennyWiththeGoodEats.com.
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.