Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter, or clarified butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (4 oz.) wild rice, rinsed and drained (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup yogurt, plain Greek (0%, 2% or 5% fat)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
In Dutch oven cook carrot, onion, celery and garlic in hot butter about 2 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
Stir broth, wild rice, thyme, salt and pepper into vegetable mixture. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 40 minutes. Stir in chicken pieces. Return to simmering. Simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes more or until the rice is tender and chicken is done.
Meanwhile, in small bowl whisk together yogurt and flour. Gradually whisk in cream. Stir into chicken mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until boiling. Boil for 1 minute. Ladle into bowls.
Recipe photography by Jenn Fillenworth at www.JennyWiththeGoodEats.com.