- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted and finely chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons milk (skim, 2% or whole)
- Sanding sugar or granulated sugar (optional)
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
For cookie dough, in large mixer bowl beat butter, cream cheese, granulated sugar, almond extract and salt on medium speed of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add flour. Beat until dough forms. Divide into thirds. Shape each piece into a 1-inch-thick disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, for filling, in food processor place cherries, brown sugar and nutmeg. Cover and pulse until cherries are coarsely chopped. Stir in almonds.
Preheat oven to 350°F. On floured surface roll each disk into about a 13-inch circle. Center a 12-inch round bowl, plate or pan on dough circles. Trim around edges to create 12-inch-diameter circles. Discard scraps. Brush circles with milk. Sprinkle a third of the filling on each circle. Lightly press into dough.
Cut each circle into 12 wedge-shaped pieces. Beginning at wide end, roll up each wedge. Place, point side down, 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Brush tops with additional milk and sprinkle with sanding sugar (if desired). Bake for 18 to 21 minutes or until brown. Transfer to wire rack. Cool.