Cheesy Zucchini Rice Casserole
- 8 cups sliced zucchini, (about 2.5 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, (non-fat is fine)
- 1 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large Eggs, beaten
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a large pot, combine zucchini, onion, and chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook covered for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain liquid and partially mash with a potato masher or fork.
Combine zucchini mixture, rice, sour cream, Greek yogurt, Cheddar cheese, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, black pepper and eggs until ingredients are mixed together well. Spread mixture into prepared pan.
In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, and remaining Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over zucchini mixture.
Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. If desired, broil briefly (watch closely!) to brown the top.
Note: This is best served immediately, but may be stored covered in refrigerator and reheated at a low temperature in the oven (put cold pan in cold oven and heat to 300°F or until hot, 30-40 minutes.
Nutritional data is unavailable
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.