Cheesy Turkey Chili Mac
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15.5 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with green chili peppers
- 1 2/3 cups reduced-sodium or unsalted chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, (about 1 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup milk, (2% or whole)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Mexican blend cheese, or cheddar cheese or a combination of shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses
- 3/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, or sour cream
Place oil in removable pan of programmable pressure cooker, such as an Instant Pot. Place in pressure cooker. Using sauté function, heat oil until hot. Add turkey and onion. Cook, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink, stirring to break up meat. Press cancel.
Stir in beans, tomato sauce, undrained tomatoes, broth, chili powder, garlic salt and pepper. Stir in macaroni. Secure lid and set pressure release to sealing function. Select high pressure setting and cook for 5 minutes.
Allow pressure to release naturally for 2 minutes. Move pressure release to venting function to release any remaining steam. Remove lid.
Stir macaroni mixture. Whisk together milk and flour. Stir into macaroni mixture. Using sauté function, cook and stir, uncovered, for 1 to 2 minutes or until boiling. Press cancel.
Stir cheese, a little at a time, into macaroni mixture until melted. Ladle into serving bowls. Spoon dollops of yogurt or sour cream on top.
To make on a cooktop stove: 1. In nonstick Dutch oven cook turkey and onion, uncovered, over medium-high heat for 5 to 10 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink, stirring to break up meat. 2. Stir stock, beans, tomato sauce, undrained tomatoes and chili powder into turkey mixture. Stir in macaroni. Bring to boiling. Gently boil, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until macaroni is tender, stirring frequently. 3. In small bowl whisk together milk and flour. Stir into macaroni mixture. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until boiling. 4. Remove macaroni mixture from heat. Stir in cheese, about one-fourth at a time, until melted. Ladle into serving bowls. Spoon dollops of yogurt on top.
Note: Using unsalted chicken broth reduces the total sodium content to 557 mg per serving.
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.