Cheddar Tomato Soup
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 package (8 oz.) finely shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- shredded sharp cheddar (optional)
- croutons (optional)
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
In a large saucepan, cook onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in flour, thyme and pepper. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
Add undrained tomatoes, chicken broth and tomato sauce. Stir until combined. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Use blender to puree soup, half at a time. (Or, use stick blender to puree soup.) Return all to saucepan.
Stir in the 2 cups cheese, about 1/2 cup at time, stirring until melted after each addition. Stir in milk. Cook over low heat just until warm. Do not boil. Serve topped with additional shredded cheese and/or croutons (if desired).