Cauliflower "Risotto" with Shrimp and Peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallot
- 3 cups cauliflower rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons, plus 1 teaspoon, all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk, 1% low-fat
- 3/4 cup cheese, freshly grated Parmesan - divided
- 1 pound medium shrimp (26-30 count per pound), cleaned and tails removed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
In large, nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add shallot and cook until softened, 2 minutes. Stir in cauliflower rice, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; cook 2 minutes.
Sprinkle flour over cauliflower and stir to incorporate then add milk and cook, stirring occasionally, until it comes to gentle boil. Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese until incorporated then add shrimp and peas.
Return to simmer. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are pink and no longer translucent, and sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with additional salt, to taste, then garnish with basil and remaining Parmesan cheese.