Cauliflower Cordon Bleu Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 cauliflower head, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Russet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
In large Dutch oven or stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook 4 to 6 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
Add cauliflower, potato, stock and water; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until cauliflower and potatoes are tender.
In batches, puree soup mixture in blender until smooth. Return pureed soup to pot; stir in cream, lemon juice, cayenne and nutmeg. Simmer over medium-low heat 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat large skillet over medium heat. In batches, if necessary, add prosciutto and cook 4 to 6 minutes until crisp. Transfer to paper towel.
Serve soup topped with crispy prosciutto, green onions and cheese.
Note: This recipe yields about 4 quarts of soup. If desired, halve or quarter the recipe for a smaller yield.
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.