Candy Cane Bittersweet Cocoa
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 4 cups fat-free, 2% or whole milk
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- whipped cream, optional
- 4 large candy canes or 1/4 cup finely crushed red and white peppermint hard candies
In large saucepan whisk together cocoa powder, sugar and salt. Whisk in hot water until paste forms. Stir in milk. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until hot. Do not boil. Remove from heat.
Whisk in chopped chocolate until melted. Stir in peppermint extract and vanilla.
Ladle into four 10- to 12-ounce mugs. If desired, top with whipped cream. Serve with candy canes as stirrers or sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies.
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.