- 1 pound red or white potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 small onion, coarsely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat and reduced-sodium, chopped, cooked ham, (about 4 oz)
- 1 cup (4 oz) cheese, shredded Swiss cheese or cheddar cheese
- 4 Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk, skim
- 1 tablespoon mustard
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
In large saucepan place potato pieces. Add enough water to just cover. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Add onion. Return to simmer. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes more or until potatoes are just tender. Drain well. Cool slightly.
Coat 8- x 8- x 2-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place potato-onion mixture in baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and pepper. Gently stir to combine. Sprinkle ham and Swiss cheese on top.
In medium bowl lightly beat eggs. Whisk in milk, mustard and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pour over layers in baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
*Photography by Jenn Fillenworth, MS, RDN, www.JennyWiththeGoodEats.com