Baked Stuffed French Toast
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese (1%, 2% or 4% milkfat)
- 2 tablespoons honey, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots or dried cherries
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 1/2-inch-thick, about 5-inch-diameter slices French or Italian bread, or sixteen 1/2-inch-thick, about 2 1/2-inch-diameter slices French or Italian bread (about 8 ounces total)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk (fat free, 2% or whole)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, blueberries, sliced fresh peaches or halved fresh strawberries
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, warmed
For filling, in small bowl stir together cottage cheese, 1 tablespoon of the honey, apricots or cherries and the 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
If using 5-inch diameter bread slices, cut in half. In 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish place half of the bread pieces. Spread cottage cheese mixture on top. Top with the remaining bread pieces, making sandwiches.
In medium bowl use a fork to beat together eggs, milk, remaining 1 tablespoon honey, vanilla and salt. Evenly pour over bread stacks, completely covering all of the bread with egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan with foil or parchment paper. Lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
Transfer bread stacks to prepared pan. Lightly sprinkle with additional cinnamon (if desired). Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until beginning to brown. Transfer to serving plates. Top with fruit. Drizzle with syrup.
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.