- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted - for buttering the crock
- 1 1/4 cups steel-cut oats
- 2 cups milk, 2%
- 1/2 cup milk, half and half
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups tart apple, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
Lightly butter the crock of a slow cooker. Pour the steel cut oats, milk, half and half, and water into the buttered crock. Give it all a quick stir before adding the grated apple, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
Gently stir everything in the crock together to distribute the ingredients. Cover the crock and cook on the low setting for 6 to 8 hours.
Stir the oats well before serving. Serve with additional milk or a splash of cream.