- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter, or clarified butter
- 3 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups total)
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large apple, cored, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups milk, lactose-free (2% or whole)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded, Cheddar cheese
- Thinly sliced apple (optional)
- chopped fresh chives (optional)
*These values are approximate. Per serving, based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
In Dutch oven cook onion in butter over medium heat about 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in potato pieces, chicken broth, apple juice, ground mustard, salt and cayenne pepper. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
Stir apple pieces into potato mixture. Return to simmering. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes more or until potatoes are tender.
Meanwhile, in small bowl whisk together lactose-free milk and flour. Stir into soup mixture. Return to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat. Simmer, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Stir cheese, a little at a time, into soup until melted. Ladle into soup bowls. Garnish with apple slices and/or chives (if desired).
Recipe photography by Jenn Fillenworth at www.JennyWiththeGoodEats.com.