Dare to dairy with these expert-approved tips. Because life is better with ice cream.
We understand the bloated, heavy feeling you may get after eating dairy. Pair it with an upset stomach, gas or diarrhea and a day spent enjoying your favorite foods may seem not worth it.
If you experience these unwanted symptoms after enjoying a bowl of ice cream or glass of milk, it may mean your body is unable to breakdown the naturally occurring sugar found in dairy, known as lactose.
Because milk contains 13 essential nutrients that are good for your entire body, it is worth it to persevere. We know the sun shines brighter and the grass is greener when you have lattes, pizza and ice cream in your life. Here’s how to make it happen:
- Did you know there is real milk at the store that is lactose-free? It contains the same nutrients as regular milk, minus the stomachache.
- Yogurt has live and active cultures to help digest lactose.
- Hard and aged cheeses naturally don’t have a lot of lactose in them! Enjoy cheddar, Colby, Monterey Jack, Parmesan and Swiss cheese stress free.
- Mix milk in with smoothies, soups, or pair with meals, to slow down digestion and make tolerance easier.
- Over-the-counter dietary supplements may also help manage lactose intolerance symptoms. Consult with your doctor.
Ready to get back on the horse and enjoy dairy? Here are a few of our favorite lactose intolerant friendly recipes!