Five Reasons to Enjoy Dairy!
1. Milk is nutritious. With nine essential ingredients, including calcium, vitamin D and protein, a single glass of milk contains as much potassium as a small banana.
2. Dairy products are a budget-friendly, wholesome food choice. At just 25 cents a glass, milk is a nutritional bargain. Milk and other dairy products such as cheese and yogurt are by far the lowest cost food source of calcium available to consumers.
3. Milk fuels our children. A recent study showed that milk is the No. 1 food source of key nutrients including calcium, potassium, vitamin D and protein –but contributes only 7 percent of total calories. Current Dietary Guidelines recommend that kids (ages 2-3) get 2 cups of low-fat or fat-free milk and milk products daily. Children (ages 4-8) should bump that up to 2 ½ cups, and children over 9 should aim for 3 cups a day.
4. Drinking milk may help lower your blood pressure. Studies show that the calcium, potassium and magnesium present in dairy products help maintain blood pressure and may help reduce the risk of hypertension. Eating two to three servings of dairy as part of a balanced diet could even help lower blood pressure.
5. Drinking milk helps your body recover from a workout. The essential nutrients found in milk not only can help refuel your muscles with carbohydrates, they also can reduce muscle breakdown and rehydrate your body. There’s a reason why chocolate milk has become the hottest sports recovery beverage around!