Exploring Protein Sources From Animals and Plants
Continuing Education Credits for: CDR, NSCA, ACSM
National Dairy Council’s webinar “Protein: Plant? Animal? Health? Planet?” helps health, wellness and sustainability professionals understand protein quality, quantity and environmental considerations for plant and animal sources of protein. Trend spotters and health experts have been focusing on plant-based proteins, but what does the science say about these proteins’ quantity, quality and impact on the environment and public health? This webinar will bring the research to the table to discuss how plant and animal foods complement each other within healthy eating patterns in the context of a plant-pasted diet paired with milk, cheese, and yogurt.
After this presentation, attendees should be able to:
- Understand the varying interpretations among health professionals and consumers surrounding the meaning of “plant-based”.
- Discuss the variability among RDA, DRI and the distribution of food calories in the US.
- Explore what’s new in protein research as it relates to optimal intake and its potential health benefits.
- Consider the quantity, quality, bioavailability and sustainability of animal versus plant-based proteins.
- Become familiar with the unique role of cattle in the food chain.
- Gain knowledge of the power of dairy and plants as a super food power couple, along with examples of healthy recipes to recommend to clients.
- Sally Cummins, MS, RDN, LDN, Vice President, Sustainable Nutrition Affairs, National Dairy Council
- Don Layman, PhD Professor Emeritus, Dept. of Food Science & Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Toby Amidor, MS, RD, CDN, FAND, Founder of Toby Amidor Nutrition, Wall Street Journal best-selling author
Length of presentation: 60 minutes
Suggested CDR Learning Needs Codes:
- 2070: Macronutrients: carbohydrate, fat, protein, fiber, water
- 8018: Environmental, agricultural & technological influences on food systems
- 8060: Culinary skills & techniques
- 8090: Menu planning and development, nutrient analysis
Suggested Performance Indicators:
- 2.3, 7.2.4, 7.2.6, 8.1.2, 8.3.6
Continuing Education Certificates:
Expiration date for CEUs – June 2023
Link to National Dairy Council